It is the duty of every patriot to protect his country from its government” – Thomas Paine
I am continuously surprised at the lack of depth surrounding the Gun Control debate whirling around us. The main stream media is certainly in full censorship mode, carefully picking and choosing what rhetoric to cover and what points to omit from the national dialogue.
2nd Amendment Doofus?
I had the great displeasure of listening to a Neo-Con apologist on the radio the other day. Mr. Hannity was discussing the 2nd amendment with a woman who was clearly clueless and completely ignorant of the issues she was discussing with the radio host.
To be fair, I did not hear all of it as they went to a station break as I arrived home. But here is what I gathered.
- Hannity mentions owning a gun is a constitutional right. Yes it is. But he gave no reason for this right. The founding fathers did, however, as they saw the necessity of the rights of individuals to be based upon reason. Indeed, the entire Declaration of Independence is a piece dedicated to persuasion using reason. It is not enough to just spew out talking points. He never mentioned WHY it was in the Constitution while I as listening although there were ample opportunities to inject it into the dialogue.
- Hannity could have asked at any time if she knew why the 2nd Amendment was in the Constitution. It would have been a perfect time to correct her disputations and educate the radio audience.
- This ignorant woman wanted “assault” rifles band They have been since 1986. Assault rifles are fully automatic military guard functioning weapons, not look-a-likes. Hannity does not seem to be aware of this.
- Then ignorant woman wants large round clips to be band because “you don’t need them” which is not the issue at all.
- Hannity’s response was what good is a gun without a clip.
- He did not address the argument at all.
- Ignorant woman mentions Reagan and the “Brady Bill”
- Hannity goes into republican hero worship apologist mode.
- Hannity mentions Reagan had alzheimer’s later in life. What?
Did Ronald Reagan pen the 2nd Amendment? What has defending Reagan and the Brady Bill have to do with the right to keep and bare arms? If the Brady Bill violated the 2nd Amendment, it is not to be defended. It should be struct down or disregarded, regardless of its political source.
Purpose of the 2nd Amendment
The purpose of the 2nd Amendment is very simple and straight forward. It is to ensure that citizens have the ability to protect themselves and their communities and their States from the Federal government and indeed any government that seeks to encroach upon their liberties by use of force. The 2nd amendment is their…
- …to safeguard all the rest of our liberties by force if necessary against any government that threatens them. That is to prevent government from suspending or superseding the rights of citizens.
- …to ensure an approximate parity between the armed citizen and armed agents of government.
- …to discourage the use of force to abrogate constitutional liberties by government.
- …to be adequately armed so as to bring down and disolve any government that attempts to usurp the liberty of the citizen.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.“ John Basil Barnhill
What should not be missed but often is missed, is the reason for the 2nd Amendment. It is not enough to go around saying that owning a gun is a constitutional right. The founding fathers wrote about why this must be so. They clearly laid out the case for such and given their own situation, to them it was intuitively obvious.
The minute man, the farmer, the woodsman, etc., could be a match for King George’s soldiers. They were similarly armed without restriction to acquire more adequate arms if needed. There was parity.
The Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land
The rights safeguarded by the constitution are meant to severely restrict government, especially the Federal government, from becoming tyrannical and despotic. The first paragraph of the Declaration of Independence makes the necessity of the 2nd amendment very clear and lays the justification for its existence just as clear.
Every person entering the military take an oath to “defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic”. This is the first and primary clause. It is not an oath to carry out executive orders when it abrogates the constitution. Orders from the President downward are not to conflict with nor supersede the Constitution. Similar oaths are often sworn by politicians and policemen.
- Plainly put, the provisions of the Constitution trump all other laws and orders, regardless who gives them.
- Supreme means just that. Nothing supersedes or is above it. It is the highest law of the land with all laws, including executive orders, subject to it.
- Laws that are in conflict with the Constitution should be considered illegal and a criminal or despotic act.
- Any agent of government that attempts to enforce such illegal “laws” or “orders” is complicit in a crime against the citizenry.
Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force.” – Thomas Jefferson
Do not expect Federal courts and judges to see it this way. They are on the federal payroll. They are agents of the Federal Government.
Using children to justify despotism and tyranny
This will be the justification for Obama and Biden to abrogate the 2nd amendment. They have and will continue to parade out the ridiculous, spurious and vacuous “if it saves even one child” justification for abridging the liberties of the law abiding.
Yet, how many people, including children, are saved each year from crime and violence because someone had a gun.
- One could argue, if even one child can be saved because someone had a gun, should not gun ownership be mandated?
One must ask the real question. What is the real reason for the assault on the 2nd Amendment? It is a good bet that the administration will not recommend armed guards or staff at schools or screening the mentally ill, but will focus on disarming the population. It is an armed population that is a threat to the use of arbitrary force by the federal government controlled by these promoters of tyranny.
What could be done
What must be addressed is NOT gun control but Federal power. The biggest perpetrator of murder, mass or otherwise, has always been government. It has not changed in many millennial. The most ruthless of all gangs are not Mexican drug cartels or the Russian Mafia or the Cosa Nostra, but government agencies addicted to the use of force as they are placed into action against its own populace by executive order or “state” decree.
The founding fathers also knew this, hence the 2nd and 10th amendments, the Kentucky and Virginia resolutions, etc. But the most recent strike against encroaching federal tyranny comes from Wyoming: wyoming-lawmakers-introduce-bill-to-nullify-federal-gun-control-measures-jail-federal-agents.
The Gun Show
Here in Northern Virginia, we have a gun show several times a year in the Chantilly area. If Obama-Biden move to ban large clips containing more then 10 rounds, what will lawmakers here do? Suppose the Feds, acting to implement an illegal executive order, attempt to raid the Gun show and arrest any dealer in possession of a gun magazine with more then a 10 round capacity? This is clearly in violation to the 2nd amendment and clearly should be considered “unauthoritative, void, and of no force” as Jefferson put it.
Does Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli and Governor Bob McDonnell have the courage to go along with principle? Will they interpose? They could as could Fairfax County Sheriff Stan Barry. They could stand against and arrest any Federal agent bent on engaging in an illegal act such as the usurpation of 2nd Amendment rights. It has been done in other places and on other occasions. They are the last line of defense before the people themselves have to take up arms to put down tyranny.
If a Federal agent is arrested for engaging in such an unconstitutional endeavor. Ask him one more thing. Did he take an oath to defend the constitution? If so, add treason to the charges. Then find out who gave him the order.