There are 761 US Military Bases across the planet. 156 Countries with US bases. 46 Countries with no US presence. 63 countries with US Military Bases and Troops. 7 Countries with 13 New Military Bases since 09/11/2001. In 2001 the US had 255,065 Troops Posted Abroad. Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_US_military_bases_are_there_worldwide But there may be more as nobody seems to know for sure.
Why does the U.S. Government have so many military bases on foreign soil? National Security? Get real. China, our biggest “threat”, has done. Old Russia has closed most of theirs.
What we have is far in excess of national security needs for a nation. But what we have is not adequate for an empire.
This empire is so large and expensive, that fiat currency is the only way to fund it. The empire must maintain the “value” of the fiat currency used, which is, of course, the US Dollar or Petrodollar. (By “value” I do not necessarily mean worth, but desirability) If you want a quick understanding of the petrodollar, go HERE
Once Nixon took us off the Gold-Exchange standard established in 1944 in Bretton Woods, NH, the US needed something else to maintain the dollars desirability. If it is not desirable, it is not valuable. If it not valuable, no one will want it. If no one wants it, no one will buy US Bonds. If no one buys US bonds, the government cannot live beyond its means. If it can’t live beyond its means, it can’t go into debt. Ergo, If it can’t go into debt…
- It can’t pass on most of the inflation due us to other countries so the people of other countries can riot instead of US Citizens (think Arab Spring).
- It can’t make promises like social security, Medicare and Medicaid and other UNFUNDED liabilities (121 TRILLION and counting according to the US Debt Clock).
- It can’t bail out bankers on Wall St. which need to stay afloat so that they can foreclose on your home.
- It can’t subsidize public education; else people will become educated in the “wrong” subjects, especially economic subjects.
- It can’t fund the military industrial complex to make war on small countries for not using the petrodollar.
- It can’t use money to control main stream media propaganda to convince our citizens and especially our military that we are fighting and sacrificing lives for the cause of democracy, protecting the constitution, and defending the weak from the powerful while hiding from them the truth that they are defending an empire.
- It can’t help international bankers profit by making endless war.
- It can’t fund its Utopian welfare state nor buy votes with promises backed by bank credit.
- It can’t finance its ever growing police state to protect the government from its citizens and civil unrest.
- It can’t distract people with bread and circuses (sports, reality TV, war, etc.)
- It can’t send money to demonize people who express viewpoints not sanctioned by the government.
- It can’t transfer the wealth of the private sector to the public sector so that it can continue to grow.
- It can’t destroy free markets and wealth creation by destroying the incentive to save (capital as in capitalism).
- It can’t plunder the peoples wealth and resources via inflation lest you have the means to resist them.
- It can’t endlessly expand at your expense.
- It can’t leave you and your children holding the “bag” for all debts incurred.
- It can’t make endless laws to be used to entrap you if you get out of line.
Much more could be said, but I am tired. So I will leave you with a quote from a domestic terrorist, Abraham Lincoln
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
And an interesting video identifying the wizards behind the curtain and worth a watch…